Sunday, May 22, 2005

Nanny

My grandmother, who will be 90 years old in December, has Alzheimer's and lives in a nursing home. Her memory has been terrible, and getting worse, but she is still there, emotionally, and I had the best visit I have ever had with her yesterday. Her short-term memory was working, too--she remembered that we had sat together, outside of the nursing home last time I saw her.

I am re-posting a poem I wrote in January.

Nanny

Almost brittle
The woman brightens
Hair a bit greasy
But still the same woman
Who brought me food
And watched too many die.
I am made at ease.

January 21, 2005
on the 7 train

Copyright © 2005 Thomas R. English

1 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Reductio said...

I missed this when first posted, and only read it now. It is lovely. Funny, I never think of you as a poet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home