Sunday, January 09, 2005

El Salvador on the Tigris and Euphrates

More evil.

Some of us still remember.

I had just started high school in the Fall of 1979, when four Catholic churchwomen were killed by the El Salvadoran national guard. One of those killed was Sister Ita Ford, an aunt of someone in my high school's senior class. Until then, even though my family were all Democrats and had opposed the Vietnam war, I still believed that by and large my government was a force for good in the world, and I was moderately conservative on foreign affairs.

The rape and murder of these women really was a turning point for me, and the more I learned about the dirty war we were waging in Central America, the more my eyes were opened.

And the lessons that my America learned from this?? Is that death squads work.

God help us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home