Saturday, October 16, 2004

Windblown World

I just picked up "Windblown World," a book of journals of Jack Kerouac from 1947-1954. It's edited by Douglas Brinkley.

Here are three sentences from a 1949 entry:

How shall I live on?

I shall keep in contact with all things that cross my path, and trust all things that do not cross my path, and exert more greatly for further and further visions of the other world, and preach (if I can) in my work, and love, and attempt to hold down my lonely vanities so as to contact more and more with all things (and kinds of people), and believe that my consciousness of life and eternity is not a mistake, or loneliness, or a foolishness,–but a warm dear love of our poor predicament which by the grace of Mysterious God will be solved and made clear to all of us in the end, maybe only.

Otherwise I cannot live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home